Saturday, March 8, 2008

Is it worth it?


My previous post about credit card debt and the trouble a couple of my friends are going through right now has me thinking a lot about finances and just how expensive it is to go to med school.

Sure, I added it all up before I ever decided to pursue this career. I calculated the total amount of student loan debt I’d have when I finally got out and just how many years it was going to take to pay it all off.

And I’ve considered the additional years of my life that I’m investing in academics while my friends from college are now out earning a living.

I knew all this going in, but that doesn’t mean that it ever goes away. No matter how involved you get with studying, the cost is always hovering in the back of your mind.

I know it was the right decision. I can’t think of anything else I’d rather do than practice medicine. I just wish it didn’t take so long and that it was more affordable.

No comments: